About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Monday, July 18, 2022

New Song Leadership Academy

Last night when Mike went to take David back to Matt's house, I decided to stay back at the camper and just sit outside to read. It was still light out, and the temperature was very pleasing. I think it may have started to rain very softly while I sat outside, but I was under the awning, so it was like sitting outside on my covered front porch.  

As I sat there, a car pulled onto New Song Drive and slowly passed by my campsite. It was Bob, my new boss, and when he saw me sitting outside, he pulled in to say hello. He gave me the keyless entry information to get into the house where the classroom is, and he gave me the wifi information so I can work on my computer any time I need to. He also gave me some contacts to help in our house search. I was thankful that I stayed back so I could get all that needed information before today.

So this morning, I slept in till Mike left, showered, did some more organizing in the camper, took care of a leak that I found from the rain (our own fault), read some, worked on an online Bible study, had my prayer time, made some lunch, and then drove the rest of the way down New Song Road to get into my classroom. Sure is nice to have wifi again and to not have to wait long for my pictures to download! I took some pics of the classroom so I can start envisioning ways I might want to decorate or set things up. I've never taught in this style before, so I'm just trying to take it all in for now. Lisa told me to be thinking about what I want to do and that there will be a budget to cover that. Now that's a first! 

Last year they all pitched in (houseparents included) to decorate it all like a castle with a Super Mario theme. They want to completely redo it all, though. I can't do anything until after NEXT week because there is another week of camp here that week, and they've got things all set up for camp right now. This week Bob and Lisa are taking some of the previous students on a trip to Michigan, so it will be quiet around here--a perfect opportunity for me to just get comfortable with my surroundings and start making myself at home. Interestingly, it already feels like home. Here are some pics of the classroom as it is right now.

When you walk down the stairs and turn to the left. This is the boys' side. The kids will each have their own personal cubicle to work at.

Still on the boys' side.

One door (on the right) closes off the stairway, and the other door opens to a utility/storage room. 

The door here goes to the garage, where I will be entering and exiting. Then there are eight storage lockers that I am assuming will be for each student.

This is the girls' side, and also where they have a small section of books. I brought several personal books from my old classroom that I plan to donate to this library if needed/wanted. And how cool to have a fireplace in the classroom! No more need to find a digital one to display on screen.




My view outside the classroom windows, also where the kids will go outside to play for breaks/recess. 

The current library. I immediately noticed the Left Behind books. I'm sure they will like the Left Behind for kids series that I brought from David's old library. I read every single one of those books with David when he was younger. 



The storage closet for all the supplies. Nice.

Back on the boys' side, looks like a little reading nook turned into a castle. Very cute. 

My view right now as I write this blog. :)

I'm still in awe that I'm really here and that God chose me, prepared me, and equipped me for this. He really is a Waymaker. 




No comments:

Post a Comment