About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, March 20, 2021

Spring Break 2021

Last year's spring break brought a change no one expected, being extended for a week, then another, and then leading right into forced virtual learning for the rest of the year. All the state testing canceled, and we saw that public education could definitely use some reform. 

It sent everyone's minds reeling on the need and the opportunity to redefine public education. Especially now that we knew our kids would not return to school the following year with the same skills they normally came with. 

My district decided to take the plunge and change a few things up with our calendar, and though it's led to a lot of confusion, I think everyone can benefit from the change. We moved toward the concept of year round schooling, with our model of it, though. Basically, they take about three weeks out of our summer and build those breaks into the year instead, shortening the regular summer, but giving us some much needed time to breathe during the year. Rather than summer school, kids that need the extra help or the chance to take a class can do so during those intercession weeks, rather than waiting until the end of the year. Teachers can make some extra money if they choose to teach during those weeks or they can take advantage of the time off when most people aren't off. So this year we already had an extra week of fall break in October, and now we just finished a two week spring break. In a year where teachers are stretched dangerously thin and are at the point of burnout, I definitely needed the extra week off to power up for the rest of the year. (There is so much more that needs to change in education, but this was a step in the right direction in my opinion.)

So with that being said, I went into my first ever planned two week spring break without a single plan, other than to rest and recover from the most hectic and challenging school year of my life. David came home for the first week of it for his own spring break, and then the second I found time to relax and refill and think about school as little as possible.

Here are a few pics of the adventures and gifts God brought my way:

Shamrock Shakes. Little Boots approved. :)
Time to sit outside and journal with my favorite drink.
Changing up my normal coloring with watercolor pencils. Love them! 


Family bowling outting. 

A partial fireplace heater insert that Mike brought home for my back porch....
...that he fabricated into this very unique piece of outdoor furniture. A coffee table/fireplace heater/cat cage! I absolutely love it and am amazed at his creativity and resourcefulness. I will be spending many spring mornings and evenings here just chilling. 


A breakfast outting with a friend I haven't seen in person for a whole year! (Forgot to get a selfie with her, though!)

A nine mile bike ride around a lake with my son, my favorite biking buddy. First time on my bike since before I got COVID in November. 



Hanging out with one of my favorite buddies, mostly just playing card games at the table. 

Making a cute, fun spring craft with my Mom. After COVID hit her home at the end of January and then she got so sick, I hadn't been able to see or visit her for about six weeks. So I made sure to not take this time together for granted. 

Finding someone else's "trash" as my new treasure to take back to school. :)

Two long morning coffee dates/talks with another dear friend I hadn't seen in person in a year. 

A long walk with Mike at our first stomping ground where we lived our first four years in Texas,
while sipping on drinks from the newest coffee shop that just opened. 

And then one more meet-up with my Mom for a BOGO deal.


Notice a theme or two? A little coffee/chai and some one-on-one time with people close to my heart. including my kitty. I also took my dad to my writer's group with me one evening, and then had dinner with my parents another evening, but I didn't get any pictures of him. He's working on trying to start his own blog now, so stay tuned. I'll share when he gets it up and running. 

I've got one more day before heading back to school, and so far, I plan on spending it quietly at home, resting as much as possible, soaking up the solitude so I can finish the last quarter of the year strong and recharged. I'm so grateful for this two week break to give my mind the reboot it needed. 


No comments:

Post a Comment