About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, January 1, 2019

Word for #2019

A list of resolutions never seem to stick in my brain long enough to stay committed to them, so I stopped making that list several years ago. Even before the "Word for the Year" movement started, I began choosing a single word to guide my year. It's amazing to look back and see how that one word truly did define and guide that entire year.

In 2013, while still in the middle of Juan's second adoption process, I focused on the word TRUST. I don't think there's any need to further explain that one. Enough said.

In 2014, I felt God push me to get out and LIVE more. With the adoption process behind us and a new son at home, I embraced the chance to finally live again without all the turmoil that the adoption process brought us, twice.

In 2015, I felt compelled to GIVE more. Not just money, but my time and energy. I'd seen God bless us so abundantly that I wanted to give back, or pay it forward.

In 2016, I wanted to embrace JOY. Little did I know I'd only get a  taste of the incredible joy coming the following year.

In 2017, I needed renewed FOCUS. I felt completely wiped out (probably from too much JOY searching!). I'd taken on more than I could handle, my commitments were scattered, I tried to please too many people, and I needed to rein myself in. I backed up, pulled away from a ton of commitments, and made room for God to give me one of the greatest gifts ever. He put Laura back in my life, fulfilling one of the deepest longings of my heart.

In 2018, my heart was filled to the brim, so I chose to CHERISH all the blessings God gave me. I wrote less and experienced more, cherishing so many precious memories and just holding them close to my heart.

So now that 2019 has arrived, I had several words floating around in my mind. LOVE, SAVOR, RADIATE, FRAGRANCE and DELIGHT all caught my attention, but none of them seemed to capture my current state of mind or need. I opened my current Bible study materials for the day and asked God to point out just the right word for this year.

The last year brought about a ton of change, and the current year brings even more. Change brings a need for added flexibility and patience, neither of which come easily. I'm pretty stuck to my routines, and I'm very self-protective of my need for periods of silence and solitude. God also gave me a classroom full of students with a variety of special needs, moreso than in the past, along with a few children hurting very deeply from signficant loss. Sometimes I find myself completely inadequate to reach them them all or to connect with each one in the way that they need. You can be sure I spend time every morning asking God for wisdom, guidance, and strength.

My hope is that I will rely so much on Jesus through this current season that others will see Him SHINE through me. As Kelly Mintor stated in her study, All Things New, "It's through our weakness that the power of Christ shines most brightly."

Here's a song that kind-of sums it up:
https://youtu.be/MVU3wX7Sbog



No comments:

Post a Comment