About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Remembering

I haven't made any big plans this summer. No family vacations, no big trips, no crazy adventures. I've just been spending a lot of time at home, remembering. (And that's okay. Because sometimes remembering is even sweeter than the experiences themselves. Especially when you can see how each experience only represented a small portion of the amazing big picture they created together.)

So here I am, remembering (and cherishing) Spain.


Remembering Guatemala.



Remembering Colombia. Remembering Argentina.


Remembering family vacations to visit grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, visiting famous landmarks in the U.S., riding rollercoasters at Six Flags, watching the World Cup with Colombian flags painted on our faces, and just hanging out around a fire at various campgrounds.






Remembering the excitement and pride over graduation and college orientation. And the struggle that soon followed to figure this college thing out.

Remembering two little pictures that captured my heart TEN YEARS AGO THIS MONTH and changed my life forever. All the above memories hinge on those two little pictures and the course of action that followed.

Ten years ago this month, Juan David and his sister bravely got on a plane together with twelve other kids from Colombia to spend five weeks in Austin, Texas, to experience another part of the world, as well as taste a bit of life within a family, while connecting with many prospective adoptive parents interested in adopting an older child.

Ten years ago this month, we made a trip to Austin, Texas to meet both of them, and they have both had my heart ever since.

The events of the last ten years still completely blow my mind, break my heart, and overwhelm me with so much emotion when I take the time to truly reflect over all that has transpired.

This summer I find myself missing my son, as he's away for 13 straight weeks working at a summer camp. The first year of college accustomed me to his absence, but the lack of ability to communicate more than once a week has been hard. I am more than grateful, though, for how God opened up a spot for him there at the very last minute, knowing ahead of time that it would be a stretching opportunity and one that would teach him to unplug and focus on the jobs, tasks, and people right in front of him. I also love how the distance has seemed to bond us and draw our relationship even closer than before.

I've missed watching the World Cup with him this year, sharing in his excitement over Colombia's wins and his (assumed) heartbreak over their most recent loss today. But while he's been gone, I've watched all the games "side by side" with Laura, as we've sent texts and comments back and forth during every single game. Today we shared our excitement over a last minute goal by Colombia and then tears over the final loss. Priceless. The joy of having her in my life again is another reason I pause to just remember.



I just heard this song the other day, and I think it expresses my current thoughts and sentiments exactly. We should always take the time to Remember to Remember.














No comments:

Post a Comment