About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Sunday, May 28, 2017

Senior Prom 2017

Juan loves to dance (and we are as far from a dancing family as you can get), so he has looked forward to Senior Prom all year long. When he had a job, he had big (and very particular) plans for his attire, his hair, and his mode of transportation for the big event. He quit his job in February due to several issues, and we told him to save the money he had in the bank for prom and also to buy the Varsity letter jacket he wanted. Well, after he bought the jacket and paid to fill up his tank with gas a few times, his money dwindled until he had next to nothing left in his account. It's funny how that made his priorities for prom change quite a bit. He had to make do with what he already had rather than buying a single thing. But you know what? He still had fun, and I think he learned a good lesson about money and priorities through it.

Let's just say I'm thankful there is no girl in the picture for him right now. He's got way too many emotional gaps in his life still to have the right maturity to deal with a girlfriend, and I've watched him regress in his emotional maturity the closer graduation gets (which is to be expected from a child with a background like his). Nineteen years or not, there's still a little boy trapped inside that never got to live out a normal childhood, and it's always a surprise when those childish moments surface. At times they can be incredibly frustrating and annoying, but I have to remind myself that it means he feels comfortable and attached enough to let that little boy out in my presence.

A few hours before prom, I asked if he wanted to go to a photo shoot with me. He readily agreed (to my surprise), so while David and Mike were at a soccer tournament, Juan and I went to several places and had a fun time together taking a ton of pics. It was actually a very bonding experience that I am thankful to have shared with him.

























No comments:

Post a Comment