About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Saturday, January 7, 2017

Welcome to the life of a soccer mom

So this week didn't quite go as planned. (Does it ever?) Welcome to the life of a teacher and a soccer mom!

We started out the week on Monday evening ending our Christmas break outside watching Juan's first soccer game this year. By evening, it had gotten a tad bit chilly after a beautiful day. We all left home the next morning for school in our normal Texas attire after spending the entire second half of our vacation with temps in the upper 60's and 70's.

We'd heard a cold front was coming through on Tuesday, but none of us expected it to hit until evening. Oops. David ended up playing his first soccer game after school in the freezing cold without even an undershirt. Then due to bus issues, he unexpectedly had to stay for the entire game after his, leaving him chilled to the bone by the time he got home around 8:00 that night. You can bet this mom made him a hot meal and had a warm electric blanket waiting for him!  (Yes, he is and always will be my baby boy.)

Wednesday we had an off day, but I left Thursday morning with tons of blankets in my car, along with an extra coat and scarf so I could watch David's first home game after school. We got a text shortly before 2:00 saying all soccer games had been cancelled within the district due to freezing temperatures. They bumped all the games to Friday and Saturday. However, Juan's tournament had already started at 1:00, so he still played. Mike had to change around his schedule in order to get David home after school since his game and practice were canceled.

Later that night, the district also canceled all soccer games for Friday, bumping more games into Saturday, thus canceling all of David's games for the freshman team in order to make room for the JV and Varsity teams to play double on Saturday. But since Juan's tournament had already started on Thursday, they found an indoor location for the tournament to continue, so he still played on Friday.

Friday afternoon, it snowed! And all the bridges turned to ice. Don't forget, we live in Texas, so this is big news. A normal 25 minute drive home turned into an hour and ten minutes. Thankfully, we all made it home safely, though.

Just in time for Juan to walk out to get the mail from the mail lady. She handed him the mail, and then she handed him a water bottle. Strange thing to come in the mail. It was a DBU water bottle addressed to Juan. I made a joke saying that was nice, but it would also be nice to know if he's been accepted or not. David said that the water bottle probably was his official acceptance. So I took the top off, and sure enough, we found this poster tucked inside with instructions to take a picture with it and post it on social media.

(Now to wait on the financial aid package to see if we can make this a doable option for him. Should arrive within a few days.)

This morning, he's sitting around waiting to head to the final game of his tournament that he got up at 7:00 to be at school by 8, only to find out that the game is now at 2:00 when the temps are above freezing, so he doesn't have to be there till noon. Meanwhile, David's bummed that he didn't get to play at all this weekend. 

What a crazy week. Glad I am learning to say no to overextending myself so I can be more flexible. Besides soccer craziness, we also dealt with a dog limping around, vet visits, one son with a migraine early in the week, internet outages at school at inopportune times, Mike's work schedule getting changed, etc. etc. 

The break was nice while it lasted. Now it's back to reality. Next week (so far) Juan has four soccer games, David has practice all week but no games, I have writer's group and two different trainings for school, youth activities start back up at church, and somehow either Mike or I have to make it to a midday meeting at David's school to sign papers regarding his fire ant allergy. We'll just have to wait and see how the week will progress! 

(Oh, and by the way, my students came back this week eager and excited, with no tears! That was definitely a nice surprise.)

No comments:

Post a Comment