About Me

My photo
I've been married to my husband, Michael, for almost 25 years. I'm a mom to a biological son and an adopted son from Colombia, and I'm also a spiritual mom to my adopted son's older brother, who I claim as a son in my heart. I'm bilingual and love to work with and relate to Spanish-speaking children and families. I've been a teacher to students from all sorts of backgrounds and cultures for the last 20+ years. I'm also an author and a certified Biblical counselor. I'm in a new empty nest season in a new location far from where I raised my boys, so I'm definitely in a stage of rediscovering myself, my interests, and my purpose.

Surviving the Valley Series

Surviving the Valley Series
Click on the card to order or read the reviews

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Growing up

My dear, sweet little boy is growing like a weed, reminding me often that I seem a bit shorter every day. Ugh.

And today he turned 15. I'll have to admit, I like the sound of 15 over 14. A bit more mature, I guess. Not so awkward. A little more confident in who he is rather than in just the things he can do. Even the girlfriend issue doesn't seem as scary at 15 as it did at 14.

Fifteen years ago, very late into the night after an extremely long 23 hours of intense back labor, they stopped my labor and said we'd do an emergency c-section as soon as the surgeon was free. Little did we know the danger that hung over both of our lives every time I pushed. Had I pushed much more, I would have burst my uterus and could have bled to death. And David's shoulder would have been crushed on his way out, putting his little life in danger, as well. The crooked placement of his little body inside my womb left him literally stuck, so he wasn't going to come on his own, no matter how hard I pushed.

I'm so thankful for the doctor who made that call and for the surgeon who delivered David via c-section late that night on November 16th, 2001. One of the scariest days of my life, and by far one of the best. Before midnight came, I held that tiny baby in my arms and never wanted to let him go.

Fifteen years later, I'm still struggling to let him go. Mike and I alternate taking him to school in the mornings, but I cherish the mornings that I get to take him, despite how rushed I feel having to leave so early. We always have such deep talks about anything and everything under the sun, we always say we love each other when he gets out of the car, and my eyes almost always fill with tears as I watch him walk into his high school each morning and silently pray for him.

I'm so proud of how well he's doing in school now. Took him a bit to figure himself out, but he's found his rhythm now, his group of friends, and he conveniently remembered just how highly capable he is in school.

We finished up this month of birthday celebrations by taking him out to one of his favorite restaurants, Country Burger, on Sunday afternoon. I made him cinnamon rolls for breakfast today, and we went out for ice cream tonight at one of the best ice cream shops around instead of having a cake.

He loved his gifts (an upgraded phone, a new Cowboy's jersey, and an FC Dallas jacket/sweatshirt from his brother--which was a total surprise). Now he's anxiously awaiting a chance to spend some birthday money that came in the mail. :)





Look how much he's changed since his 13th birthday!


And look at the difference in all three of them since our joint birthday celebration just two years ago!


Love all three of them.



No comments:

Post a Comment